Descriptive Reflection - Formal Introductory Letter

Dear Professor and readers,

Welcome to my blog post!


When asked about their interest in civil engineering, many people reminisce about their childhood dreams of playing with toy buildings and train models. This common narrative has always been something I envied. Unlike those who had a clear passion from a young age, I found myself among the few who contemplated and had no concrete idea what to do after my post-diploma education in business process and system engineering.


My journey into the world of civil engineering has been a trudge rather than a swift stride. An arduous internship made me realise I was in the wrong place! Reflecting on my career decision, I embarked on a quest for answers, leading to a second internship at a construction builder. There began my unexpected love with civil engineering, sparked by the eccentric work and diverse colleagues. I believe that the courage to persist in trying and searching for answers is what differentiates and uniquely defines me.


As an analytical individual, concepts like cost-benefit analysis and SWOT analysis have always been my guiding tools and greatest weakness. These analytical skills, utilised in critical thinking, sometimes lead me to ponder and reflect slowly on crucial life choices – perhaps too slowly. It wasn’t until the ripe age of 20, that I discovered civil engineering as the answer to my career dilemma.

By week 13, I look forward to learning the rhetorical constructs of technical academic communication for writing assignments at university level. This can be beneficial for crafting a thesis in the capstone project. Engaging a specified audience through speaking seems both the easiest and the hardest to attain. I find inspiration from the numerous TED Talks by the late Sir Ken Robinson. His speeches not only engage audiences but also convey important messages in a compelling manner, making it a true masterpiece.


Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I appreciate your engagement and welcome your thoughts and ideas! Regards,

Gordon Soon


(299 words)




7 comments:

  1. Update: Completed comments for Hong Yi, Ewan, Trena, Haziq and Damien's Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gordon,

    The prose and language use here reminds of novels of libraries past. Not that it's a bad thing inherently, but doing this *could* reduce readability, which isn't something you want in a concise introduction, or academic reports. I'm certain you know this, but this is just more unsolicited advice from your dear friend.

    Behind everything though, the text pictures a gripping story of your background, your subsequent path of civil engineering, reflections of strengths and weaknesses, and aspiring goals along with your inspiration source.

    Subjectively, I wouldn't say this captures the spirit of Mr. Blackstone's prompts, but I'll be damned, this one's an enjoyable read. Would love more works like this (perhaps not too much).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughtful feedback! I appreciate your insights and agree with you that a concise introduction and academic report demand a different writing style. I'm glad you found my piece enjoyable, and I'll certainly keep your advice in mind for future works.

      Delete
  3. Dear Gordon,

    Thank you for this detailed and thought-provoking letter. In it you not only address the assignment's key areas (and as Hong Yi mentions, at least one you seem to skirt with ambiguity), but you also embellish the discussion with interesting references points (for example, Ken Robinson's TED talks) and poignant self reflections. I applaud your effort at giving us readers a sense of what makes you unique.

    Language-wise this is quite well presented. There is, however, one sentence that needs review: "As an analytical individual, concepts like cost-benefit analysis and SWOT analysis have always been my guiding tools and greatest weakness."
    Who is the individual? Obviously it is you, but the sentence needs to mention "I" as its subject. Let me know if this is unclear.

    I look forward to reading more from you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm grateful for your insightful feedback and guidance, Professor Blackstone. Regarding my reference to analytical individuality, I understand the importance of specifying "I" in that sentence. Your thoughtful review is invaluable, and I'm eager to enhance my writing skills in your classes.

      Delete
  4. Hi Gordon, after reading your letter, I have a new found respect for your passion for civil engineering. Not many people have the courage to "emabrk on a quest for answers"

    I feel your language in the letter is very succinct and captures the correct tone for this letter, and it is organised in a way that flows well while reading. Overall it was a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Ewan for your kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed my read. Your feedback is encouraging, and I'm grateful for your thoughtful response!2

    ReplyDelete

Week 13 1C - Critical Reflection

At the end of week 1, I set 2 objectives for myself. Writing a technical academic writing and engaging audiences, taking inspiration from Si...