Week 13 1C - Critical Reflection

At the end of week 1, I set 2 objectives for myself. Writing a technical academic writing and engaging audiences, taking inspiration from Sir Ken Robinson. Well, I may not have reached Sir Robinson’s level of proficiency, I implemented one of his speaking techniques in my video pitch. Starting with an empowering phrase “did you know” served as a light-hearted yet efficient delivery style that has brought laughter to viewers and most importantly conveying the significance of Ikigai seat, a project I am passionate about. Apart from speaking, I accomplished my writing goal. The process of creating a design technical report challenged my team and I, who worked tirelessly to present a proper academic writing. We could not have learnt as much as we did without the symbaloo page which was an invaluable resource that aided our report and broadened my knowledge as I am now confident in writing an APA format engineering report. This module has taught me the importance of communication. Over the past 12 weeks, we had sharing sessions and discussions weekly that provided me with opportunities to express ideas, articulate and present in a classroom setting. An important class activity was the practice of giving remarks and peer appraisal to classmates. From this, I learnt to appreciate the positives in others' work first before offering suggestions when it comes to providing constructive feedback. Although I have attained my personal objectives, I recognise the need for continuous practice in speaking, writing, and thinking critically. These are lifelong skills that I must diligently work on by engaging in diverse settings such as classrooms, social gatherings and public events.

Given the role as team lead for SGSecure Transport Innovators has been an honour. From the start of the project, servant leadership was emphasised. It was a principle I deeply believed in but yet to put into practice before this module. This research project presented the opportunity for me to test this leadership style. The main challenge with this approach is that decisions must be approved or acknowledged by all members, ensuring everyone has a say in decision making and our team’s direction. While the intention is an excellent way to facilitate discussion, this democratic approach extended the time needed to make decisions. To navigate this, our team proactively made decisions ahead of time and allowed for a buffer period where we can come together for discussions and problem solving. This strategy proved to be successful, balancing between our time management and unified team approach. I am thankful for the conducive and interactive environment fostered, the innovative ideas and collaborative problem solving, for which I am grateful to my team members Nabil, Alson and Damien.  Lastly, I would like to take this opportunity to express gratitude to my classmates and Professor Blackstone for creating an engaging and enjoyable learning environment. This is a class that I looked forward to weekly! Thank you for reading my blog. Regards, Gordon Soon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 13 1C - Critical Reflection

At the end of week 1, I set 2 objectives for myself. Writing a technical academic writing and engaging audiences, taking inspiration from Si...